Greene King triumphed at the Publican Awards last night, taking the titles of Community Pub Operator of the Year, Tenanted and Leased Pub Company of the Year and CEO Nick Mackenzie scooped the title of Business Leader of the Year.
Best Food Offer went to Hippo Inns, Best Drinks Offer to Darwin & Wallace and Best Pub Employer to Brewhouse & Kitchen.
On his win, Mackenzie said: “I never expect these things, of course I’m pleased but a massive shoutout to my team. They absolutely were great. Every single one of our employees were great and hopefully they will see the benefit of this award too.
“It has been a crazy two years [since joining Greene King as CEO] but I have absolutely loved it, and really enjoyed being back in the industry. I’ve learnt masses as a leader over the past 12 months and the industry as a whole has done an incredible job too [amid the pandemic].”
Ed Bedington, editor of The Morning Advertiser, which organises the awards, said: “This year’s event has certainly been different, going from a gathering of 1,500 in Battersea to an online ceremony in the virtual world, but the ethos remains the same – celebrating excellence and there’s plenty to celebrate.
“Many companies, having faced the challenges and disasters of 2020 could be forgiven for pulling down the shutters and sitting the crisis out. Our finalists tonight, and many others in the sector, did the exact opposite of that, rose to the challenge and did some amazing things.”
The awards were sponsored by Asahi, Britvic Soft Drinks, Budweiser Brewing Group, CocaCola European Partners, CGA, CPL Learning, Heineken UK, HGEM, Lumina Intelligence, Molson Coors, Poppleston Allen, and Sky.
Full list of winners
- Best Accommodation Operator - Stay Original Company
- Best Brewing Pub Company - North Brewing Company/North Bar
- Best Sustainable Pub Company - Brewdog
- Best Community Pub Operator - Greene King
- Best Food Offer - Hippo Inns
- Best Premium Food Offer - Stay Original Company
- Best Drinks Offer - Darwin & Wallace
- Best New Site - The Meynell Ingram Arms, from Berkeley Inns
- Best Pub Employer - Brewhouse & Kitchen
- Best Managed Pub Company - Liberation Group/Butcombe Brewing Company
- Best Tenanted/Leased Pub Company - Greene King
- Business Leader of the Year - Nick Mackenzie, Greene King
- Outstanding Industry Contribution - Emma Page, Yummy Pub Company
Greene King scoop three at Publican Awards
Greene King triumphed at the Publican Awards last night, taking the titles of Community Pub Operator of the Year, Tenanted and Leased Pub Company of the Year while CEO Nick Mackenzie scooped the title of Business Leader of the Year. Best Food Offer went to Hippo Inns, Best Drinks Offer to Darwin & Wallace and Best Pub Employer to Brewhouse & Kitchen.