Relaxed regulations that allow pubs and restaurants to sell takeaway food and alcohol could be extended until 2022, communities secretary Robert Jenrick has said.

Following the implementation of the second nationwide lockdown last week, rules to allow businesses unable to operate for dine-in serve a takeaway offer, as long as it is pre-ordered, were reintroduced.

Initially due to expire next year, Jenrick has said the automatic permission will be extended for another year and that his department will look into whether this blanket approach should become permanent.

The move means that businesses will not need to go through the planning application process to provide takeaway until March 2022.

Announcing the extension on Saturday, Jenrick said: “We’ve taken decisive action since the beginning of the pandemic to support our pubs, restaurants, cafes and markets.

“Making it easier for them to provide takeaways has helped these businesses to adapt and helped sustain many through an unbelievably difficult year.”

“That’s why I am extending these simple but effective reforms to support these businesses, helping give them and their employees more certainty over the coming year.

“It will also be a boost for their customers who can now look forward to continuing to enjoy meals at home from their favourite restaurants.

“As these reforms have made such a difference I will be considering making them permanent.”

Responding to the news, UK Hospitality CEO Kate Nicholls said: “The ability to provide takeaway services was a valuable lifeline for many hospitality venues, not just during the lockdown but in the days of reduced and restricted trade, too.

“The extension will undoubtedly help many. For pubs, restaurants and cafes to operate as takeaways gives them a previously untapped revenue stream and a much better chance to survive what will be a tough winter.”