Westminster City Council said that it would take action to revoke the entertainment licence of Soho House if police found that it was doing nothing to prevent drugs being used or sold on the premises.

The private members' club in London was hosting a children's party when Iris Law, the daughter of actors Sadie Frost and Jude Law, swallowed an Ecstasy tablet she found on the floor.

Police said that Soho House would have to introduce a stringent search regime if it wanted to stay open.

An unnamed member, quoted in The Times, said: "Searching would be the death of Soho House. It is a private members' club, not a place where people expected to be treated like Essex ravers."

Soho House said: "We have requested a meeting with the police and will be co-operating fully with them. It is made clear to all our members in the club's rules and regulations that drugs will not be permitted on the premises".