McDonalds, Nando’s and Pret have announced estate-wide closures following Friday’s Government announcement.
Whilst the dine-in option was removed last week, as of 7pm this evening all McDonald’s sites in the UK and Ireland will also be closed for delivery and drive-thru.
“This is not a decision we are taking lightly, but one made with the well-being and safety of our employees in mind as well as in the best interest of our customers,” the brand said in a statement on Twitter. “We will work with local community groups to responsibly distribute food and drink from our restaurants in the coming days.”
Last night, Nando’s announced its estate-wide closure with immediate effect, ceasing delivery and collection operations.
“The health and safety of our customers and team is out highest priority,” it said in a tweet. “We have decided that the best course of action right now it to temporarily close our restaurants until further notice.”
Early last week, Starbucks announced the decision to transition to a takeaway-only model, and closed a selection of its busiest stores, but as of Friday the brand extended the closure to all its UK sites.
“We will be closely monitoring the situation as it develops and hope to welcome you back very soon,” it said on Twitter.
Itsu announced the same decision on its website yesterday. Julian Metcalfe, Itsu founder, said: “The closure of our restaurants also means we will sadly not be able to offer delivery for the time being, as this relies on us making fresh food daily in our kitchens.”
“We’re continuing to do everything we can to look after our people who are being wonderful, strong and supporting each other and we are very grateful for the government’s announcement of support on Friday.”
In support of health professionals, brand employees were instructed to use up remaining ingredients to create sushi and salad boxes for distribution to NHS workers.
Patisserie Valerie has also closed all of its stores and online services.
“Regrettably this has had an effect on our amazing team at Patisserie Valerie who have over the years shown incredible loyalty and resilience,” said James Fleming, CEO, in a statement on Twitter.
“We are here to support and guide them through what is a really challenging and difficult time. The teams are fully aware that what has happened today isn’t the end of their time at Patisserie Valerie and we’ll stay in touch to offer as much support as we can.”
Pret a Manger announced it will be closing all its 400 UK stores on Saturday evening.
On Wednesday, it switched to a takeaway model and closed seating areas, later telling staff it was cutting working hours and pay by a quarter as customers followed government advice to stay at home to dampen the spread of coronavirus.
In a message to customers, Pret CEO Pano Christou, said: “My priority is always to protect our teams as much as we can. For this reason, we will be closing all our UK shops temporarily from this evening.
“We will of course ensure any excess food goes to those who need it most. We look forward to being a part of your daily lives again soon. Until then, stay healthy and look after each other.”
This morning (23 March), Byron announced it would also be closing its delivery operations.
A statement on its social media said: ”At this time of national crisis, when the most responsible thing we can all do is stay at home, we don’t believe its right to ask our employees to travel into work. So, we are temporarily closing the kitchens, switching off the Deliveroo tablets, and locally distributing our remaining perishable food to those in need.”
McDonalds, Nando’s and Pret announce full shut down
McDonalds, Nando’s and Pret have announced a full estate-wide shut down following Friday’s Government announcement. Previously offering takeaway, drive-thru or collection options, the brands have made the decision to cease all operations to protect their employees and customers. Itsu and Patisserie Valerie announced the decision yesterday, while Pret did on Saturday.