Dishoom, Burger King and Caffé Nero are among the latest operators to announce a full estate-wide closure, removing collection, takeaway and delivery options.
Dishoom will no-longer offer a collection and delivery option to consumers, it has announced today.
Following the decision to close its restaurants for dine-in guests last week, the operator launched an all-new takeaway and delivery operation available to consumers within a certain radius of its stores, but it has today decided to halt these services.
“The circumstances we find ourselves in today are unprecedented,” said co-founders Shamil and Kavi Thakrar. “There is no playbook, no clearly defined path through this.”
“The decisions we have made to date reflect what we believe to be right for our people and our business. Not everyone will make the same choices, and to our wider hospitality family we give our unreserved respect and support. To brighter days of bustling restaurants, brim-full glasses and big-hearted hospitality,” they said.
Last week, Burger King closed the majority of its 500-strong UK estate, removing the dine-in option in line with Government advice, but has since announced it will close its 150 drive-thru stores.
”It’s not something we want to do, but it is the right thing to do right now,” it said in a statement on Twitter.
”We have exciting things coming in the future, so we’ll see you on the other side.”
Caffé Nero will be closing all of its stores tomorrow (25 March) “to ensure the safety of its baristas, customers and communities.”
In a post on its social media last night, the operator said: “We want to personally thank our store teams for their dedication and hard work, and all our customers for their continued support, it means more than you can ever know.”
“We will be working hard for you behind the scenes, ready to open our doors when the time is right, in the meantime, you can still buy your coffee online to make at home.”
Bakery chain Paul will be closing its entire estate today (24 March) in order to support social distancing.
It has said that its Bread Market – a newly launched bread store located at its central bakery in Acton – will continue to operate, but that steps have been taken to ensure queues don’t congregate.
The brand is also donating all unsold food to London based charity The Felix Project, to help feed those in the greatest need.
“Bakers for centuries have produced bread for people, and for 130 years Paul has been following that tradition. It’s this heritage that has made the decision that we took last night to temporarily close all our UK stores today such a difficult decision,” said Mark Hilton, Paul CEO.
“However, our number one priority is the safety of our teams and customers, and we believe this is the best thing to do.”
Healthy eating and juice bar concept Crussh closed all of its stores - including the take-away only sites and delivery services - yesterday afternoon.
“Whilst we are closed, we’ll continue to do everything we can to look after our people and we are very grateful for the Government’s announcement of support on Friday,” the brand said in a statement on social media.
“For now, stay healthy and look after each other.”
Other operators to announce a full closure of operations in the past few days include Bone Daddies, Chestnut, Giggling Squid, Frankie & Benny’s, Turtle Bay and Harry Ramsden.
Dishoom, Burger King and Caffé Nero remove to-go and delivery options
Dishoom, Burger King and Caffé Nero are among the latest operators to announce a full estate-wide closure, removing collection, takeaway and delivery options. In line with Government lockdown measures, bakery chain Paul UK and to-go juicing brand Crussh have also announced closures, although Paul UK will continue to operate its new Bread Market - a fresh bread retail space located at its central bakery in Acton.